In my opinion, books are the best accessory.
I was honored to receive this Tweet/Challenge: – Click on the image to see Adrienne’s post!
Here’s the scoop on “Sharing the Sunshine”: Acknowledge the nominating blogger. Share 11 random facts about yourself. Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you. List 11 bloggers. They should be bloggers you believe deserve some recognition and a little blogging love! Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate to answer and let all the bloggers know they have been nominated. (You cannot nominate the blogger who nominated you.)
Thank you so much to Adrienne Gear of Reading Power Gear! I love keeping up with what Adrienne shares on her blog, from beautiful weekly books read to lesson ideas shared, always worth the visit! Thanks again Adrienne!
Eleven facts you might not know about me:
1. I grew up playing piano and was in piano competitions in high school.
2. I love to read but additionally am a tv addict. It balances out for the most part!
3. If I don’t have a mid-morning snack, I can be a real pill to be around. (I always try to plan out a snack…)
4. Even though I grew up in Alaska, I’ve only skied three times in my life.
5. I am left-handed and LOVE IT.
6. I once styled an afro by accident. I love my curly hair, must keep it around my shoulders or past though!
7. I am a bag collector. I thought I’d quelled this habit but somehow picked it back up here in Hong Kong! (Way too many wonderful temptations around!)
8. I love wearing weird earrings to school.
9. I’ve been battling a nail biting habit since I was five years old…
10. I’m working on being brave with many elements of my life including developing my writing skills and going on adventures.
11. I once participated in a swing dance competition and was swung around my partner’s waist in a move called “around the world”. My husband and I met at a swing dancing event. We still go swing dancing a number of times during the year.
Around the world example: (done with this life experience, enjoyed it a few times, that was enough… fun! but enough…)
Here are my 11 answers to Adrienne’s questions:
1. What movie have you recently seen that you really enjoyed?
I have been enamoured with documentaries recently. I watched Blackfish and was thoroughly disturbed, thinking about the hideous situation that have orcas captured, traded like sports players, and treated like commodities… it is heartbreaking. This is quite different than watching Free Willy! Even though the movie upset me, I appreciated and enjoyed watching it throughout… I also enjoyed Chasing Ice and Jiro Dreams of Sushi. All three highly recommended!
2. Who is the author you would most like to have coffee with?
Sharon Creech. I adore her books, her blog posts, and her support online as well! For now… watching videos will be my habit. This one is older but good! (Fast forward the portion of the silent video, around 3 mins to 8 mins.)
3, What was the name of your favorite childhood toy? (or pet?)
Emily (pet) – she was a malamute with the cutest radar ears.
4. Best way to spend a Saturday morning?
Sleeping in, then reading- either reading with my ears while taking a walk or reading curled up still in pajamas.
5. What song reminds you of your high school days?
Things that make you go Hmmm… by C+C Music Factory
Threw me back in time when I went to this site:
6. What city would you most like to visit?
Portland, Oregon – because I’m missing home while I’m here in Hong Kong. If I wasn’t missing home, I’d love to visit Chicago… many places to be a tourist there!
Country? Well, since my family’s trip was cancelled, I’m still dying to get to Malaysia and excited to travel to the Philippines… future trips soon!
7. Last time you laughed out loud was…?
Chatting with my son and being amused at the random things that fly out of his mouth.
8. Household appliance you could not live without?
You know? Two years ago I would have said washer/dryer/dishwasher… now? The refrigerator. I am so grateful to have one. Sure, it is a tiny, hardly fit anything into it refrigerator, but can’t imagine living without… plus if I had to expand further… I really appreciate consistent electricity, decent plumbing, and quick operating elevators!
9. Colleague you admire the most and why?
One? That I work with on a daily basis? Or someone in my PLN? Hmm… I admire all the specialists I work with at my school. Their unending energy and enthusiasm is inspiring.
10. Favorite season and why?
Spring – happy medium person, not too hot, not too cold, just right…
11. Finish this sentence: I am most proud of… my family’s open mindedness to new adventures!
Here are my 11 questions for my nominees:
1. If you could travel anywhere, where would you go?
2. What have you recently procrastinated doing that you’re going to deal with, within the next week?
3. Last time you laughed aloud was….
4. What was a movie that has stuck with you for longer than a week?
5. What genre do you need to read more of?
6. What makes a book 5 out of 5 stars?
7. What do you wish you could be braver about?
8. If someone were to describe your personal style, what would they say?
9. What is your favorite recreational activity, (besides reading)?
10. How do you “give back” to your community?
11. Fill in the blank: If I only had one book I could bring and share with a new group of students, __________________ would be it.
I am nominating eleven bloggers to share some stories and questions.
1. Dianne McKenzie – from Library Grits
2. Michelle Glatt – from I Push Books
3. Maria Selke – from Maria’s Melange
4. Sal – from Sal’s Fiction Addition
5. Angie Oliverson – from Mrs. O Reads Books
6. Krystal Larson (and more) – from Live to Read
7. Adrienne Gillespie – from Books and Bassets
8. Margie Myers-Culver – from Librarian’s Quest
9. Earl Dizon – from The Chronicles of a Children’s Book Writer
10. Shannon Clark – from I Run Read and Teach
11. Emma Carbone – from Miss Print
Want more book ideas and reviews? – Yes, I’m quite brief, but a prolific reader! Please visit me at Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1941055-the-styling-librarian Also, please follow this blog through email updates – (do so to the right of this blog post). I appreciate all of the support, makes my day! Honored by all the wonderful followers.
FTC Required Disclosure: This site is an Amazon affiliate, and purchases made through Amazon links (including linked book covers) may result in my receiving a small commission (at no additional cost to you). Additionally this site is a Powells Books affiliate, and purchases made through the linked book covers may result in my receiving a small commission (at no additional cost to you).
© 2013 by Debbie Alvarez of The Styling Librarian. All rights reserved. You can also follow me @stylinlibrarian or at my Styling Librarian Page on Facebook.